We hear it said more and more often these days that we’re living in an increasingly toxic environment. This becomes obvious when we see news about air pollution, chemicals in our water and toxic spills in our oceans. But, what about the hidden toxins that we know less about but are there, nevertheless, impacting our health on a daily basis? Though our immune systems may be able to resist certain levels of toxicity at first, it is repeated exposure that slowly wears down our defenses and makes us suceptible to illness and disease. Here are five of the dangers in our everyday world that we need to be aware of:
- Make Up- I started playing with my mother’s make up when I was six years old. I’ve always loved it and today I live in Los Angeles, one of the media capitals of the world. Some of the best make up anywhere is sold here, but, as it turns out, these products are full of dangerous toxins. While men think this doesn’t apply to them, it does! The same dangerous chemicals are found in shaving lotions and after shave products—and, of course, all the actors in this town wear make up for theatre, film and television work. Plastic is one of the main ingredients in makeup and we put it on our face, lips and sometimes whole body! Plastic chemicals, including BPA, make products creamier and lucious, but they can mimic the effect of estrogen in the body and disrupt our hormone system. We might look great on the outside, but were are poisoning ourselves on the inside! BPA alone has devastating effects as The Journal of the Yale School of Environmental Studies attests:
“There is now abundant research that links BPA and phathalate exposure to such human health concerns as deformities of the male and female genitals; premature puberty in females; decreased sperm quality; and increases in breast and prostate cancers, infertility, miscarriages, obesity, type 2 diabetes, allergies and neurological problems, like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.”
FDA studies have also found high levels of lead in cosmetics, especially lipsticks. Lead is a dangerous neurotoxin that can lead to reduced infertility in men and women, hormone disruptions, as well as learning and language impairment, even at the lowest levels. There is NO safe level of lead exposure and remember that it’s repeated exposure over time that is so harmful. The FDA reported that highest levels levels were found in the most popular and trusted brands: Cover Girl, L’Oreal, Maybelline and Revlon! (You can download the full report at http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/regulations/us-laws/lead-in-lipstick/) One would hope that our favorite brands would adhere to the highest health standards, but this is not the case! The list of toxic chemicals in make up is long, but you can read about the top 10 here: https://foodrevolution.org/blog/toxic-chemicals-makeup/
- Microwaves– There’s been a lot of controversy about the safety of microwave ovens. The convenience they offer in our busy lives is undeniable, but are they dangerous to our health? Think about this: The FDA recommends that we do not stand against or directly in front of a microwave while it’s operating. Our cats refuse to eat food heated or reheated in the microwave, which got me researching the topic. In a 1991 lawsuit, Norma Levitt from Oklahoma died after hip surgery from a transfusion of blood that had been heated in a microwave. Do your own research and decide for yourself, but we are currently redesigning our kitchen and instead of a microwave we are installing a smart oven that does everything we need, but safely: It cooks, reheats, bakes, broils, toasts, and more. (Check in out here: http://amzn.to/2acdx48)
- EMF Exposure – Our bodies are under constant assault from exposure Wi-Fi and electromagnetic fields in our offices and public places. EMFs have been linked to increase in allergies, long term DNA fragmentation and certain cancers. Making our homes safer for everyone, including pets, is a wise choice. One way is to eliminate EMF exposure while you sleep by keeping any electromagnetic appliances away from your bed, and especially your head. These include clock radios, cell phones, laptops, or computers. I now have my clock radio across the bedroom. It still wakes me up, with the added benefit of my having to get out of bed to turn the darn thing off! Leave anything that needs charging throughout the night in another room. You will not only sleep better but allow your body to refresh and heal as it’s supposed to while you rest. (Read more at http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/neuroscientist-confirms-the-danger-of-electromagnetic-radiation/)
- Cell Phone Hazards- The dangers of cell phone radiation have been widely speculated about. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified cell phone exposure as a probable carcinogen—especially for brain cancer—and the European Environmental Agency has compared the risk of cell phones to smoking, asbestos and leaded gasoline. You can decide if you’d rather ignore these warnings, but minimizing exposure is simply a sensible precaution. Rather than holding your cell phone to your head, wearing an ear piece offers an obvious and easy solution, as does using the hands free speaker. The safest earphones we found are the Kucipa Anti-radiation Binaural (See them here: http://amzn.to/2ab4xJH). While Bluetooth pieces offer less radiation, who can say what brain cell activity they’re disrupting if they’re worn for hours at a time? It’s also recommended that you keep your cell phone at least a foot away from you on your desk or in your car, and never carry it with you in your pocket or bra (I have a friend who does this). It turns that part of our bodies into an antenna, so these precautions are especially important for pregnant women. (Read more at http://www.wsj.com/articles/cellphone-cancer-link-found-in-government-study-1464324146)
- Airport Body Scanners- Though federal authorities swear to their safety, research is emerging that shows the full body airport scanners do emit a millimeter wave technology that the World Health Organization (WHO) reports can harm our eyesight and be potentially carcinogen. Though annoying, it’s best best to play it safe, submit to the pat down and entirely avoid this needless exposure to radiation. (You can read more here: https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/airport-full-body-scanner/?gl=582829380)Being conscious and aware of harmful substances in our environment and how best to avoid them is a first step in creating a safer, healthier world for ourselves and our loved ones. Become informed and here’s to enjoying a full life Healed, Healthy and Whole!