Canola oil been touted as a versatile and healthy alternative for cooking and use in everything from salad dressings, to baking, to fried foods, but when you hear the truth about its dangers to your health, you may change your mind.
- Unlike olive, sunflower or soy, there is no such thing as a canola plant. Canola oil is made in a laboratory from rapeseed which smells so bad, it must be deodorized, degummed, bleached, and refined via a multi-step chemical process with hexane, a vaporous component from gasoline that’s not only toxic but also flammable.
- It is a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) created in Canada by a scientist who worked for a company bought by Monsanto. Human studies show that GMO foods harm heart, kidney and liver function. (This same scientist also developed the weed killer Round Up.)
- When used in infant formulas, canola oil has been shown to retard a baby’s growth…in fact, it’s been banned by the FDA for the past 25 years. However, in adults, canola oil depletes Vitamin E levels, raises our triglycerides by more than 40 percent, and causes a rise in lung cancers…it should be banned for adults, too!
- Fungus is a known precursor to cancer and canola oil molds quickly. When we ingest fungus, our body’s enzymes are suppressed, our membranes become more rigid, and free radicals are released that sabotage the natural antioxidants found in healthy food. This can all lead to a host of degenerative diseases as well as aggravate the symptoms of asthma, allergies and bronchitis.
- When canola oil is fed to animals as the sole source of fat, they develop high blood pressure, become susceptible to strokes and die sooner that those fed a non-canola fat source.
1. Organic, cold pressed virgin, GMO-free olive oil. Rich in healthy fats, olive oil also has many antioxidants and can help reduce the risks of heart disease, strokes and inflammation. Read your labels carefully as many cheaper olive oils are really mixed with unhealthy GMO vegetable oils.
2. Coconut Oil – also cold-pressed and virgin, never refined. Excellent for your increasing your HDLs (good cholesterol), promoting heart health and even helping with fat loss.
3. Ghee or Organic Butter from Pasture-raised Cows. These alternatives are are not only delicious but also rich in soluble vitamins, full of short chain fatty acids, have a high heat threshold, and can also promote weight loss.
MAKE WISE CHOICES
Canola oil is immensely popular because it’s cheap and sold everywhere, but it’s also toxic to your health and the health of your loved ones. Read your labels carefully and make informed choices.
Here’s to living Healed, Healthy and Whole!